30.9.14

Easy Seed Stitch Boot Cuffs



Boot cuffs make a fabulous last minute gift! They're fast, easy, and the pattern possibilities are virtually limitless. Funny enough, my calves are big enough that I don't need any extra bulk, so I never wear them, but they look adorable on others! (If your calves are as big as mine & you rock them anyway, more power to you!) Still, boot cuffs seem to be a popular item with most of my friends. My family requests these frequently when the weather gets cold & Etsy is plagued with them this time of year!

Here's the pattern..
*I think this size will fit most calves, but decrease or increase by 4 stitches for smaller or larger sizes*

Materials:
US Size 7 double pointed needles or round needles (I used magic loop method)
Lion Brand Heartland Wool (I used the colorway Isle Royale)
Stitch Marker (to mark beginning of round)
Yarn Needle (for weaving in ends)

Cast on 40 stitches.
First seven rows: K1 P1 ribbing to end of row
Row 8 & all even rows: P1 K1* repeat from * to end of row
Row 9 & all odd rows: K1 P1* repeat from * to end of row
Finish with K1 P1 ribbing for seven more rows, then bind off.

*Tips: I used "tubular" cast on to make the ribbing extra stretchy so these cuffs would slide on & off easily. It was tricky & took me a few tries to get right.
For bind off, I used something called suspended bind off. Though I ended with ribbing, I knitted all the stitches when binding off.. seemed to work fine & was easier ;)
I learned these methods from Youtube videos. Links below!

Tubular Cast On
Elastic Cast Off

**If you want a boot cuff that's a little bit fancier, I also wrote up a pattern for a cute cabled & seed stitch boot cuff. You can check it out here:
Check out my FREE Seed Stitch & Cable Boot Cuff Pattern HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment