1.10.14

Overcoming Knitter's Block



Confession: I suffer from Knitter's Block. It's serious, guys.

I realize I'm blessed to be knitting in the age of wifi, where virtually any pattern you want to knit or skill you want to learn is at your fingertips.. most of it for FREE. That's right: most of it, but not ALL OF IT. And the problem is that I'm picky.. about the clothes I wear, the makeup I'll use, the food I eat, the way I decorate my home, etc...but mostly about the patterns I'll knit. Basically, I'm a huge control freak & also a little bit cheap economical. I want the good stuff & I want it for FREE.

Right. So most of you are probably thinking I'm such a snob, but I know you do it, too!
I will literally waste a decade browsing Ravelry & come up with nothing acceptable to knit.
On the off-chance that I do find something, it ends up that the pattern is flawed. WHY ME!?

Oftentimes, I can envision exactly what I want in my head, but I just don't have the skill or know-how to make it happen. Luckily, a solution occurred to me over the past weekend. What I've been missing is a Stitchionary. A dictionary made up totally of Knitting Stitches/cable patterns/motifs. I rushed out to my local bookstore to pick one up this weekend, and I'm really excited to learn some new skills & implement them in original designs which I will, of course, share here!

Basically, if you want to improve your knitting, go to Barnes & Noble and look at all the knitting books until you find one that has a ton of stitches you like with clear, simple instructions & good pictures.
Here's the one I got: Knitting Stitches Visual Encyclopedia by Sharon Turner. 
I've linked to it on Amazon in case you want to check it out also.

I'm also thinking of subscribing to VOGUE Knitting magazine. It just seems to have the most modern and "wearable" fashions of all the knitting magazines I've seen. What do you guys think? What are you favorite knitting magazines, if you subscribe to any? Leave me a comment, I'd love to hear your advice!


No comments:

Post a Comment